From Blighty to Baghdad

The Genealogy of the Smith/Lincoln Family


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 55» Next»     » Slide Show


Headstone Robert and Mary Anderson nee Franklin

Status: Located

File nameheadstonerobmaryanderweb1.jpg
File Size361.17k
Dimensions500 x 621
Linked toRobert Anderson (Burial); Mary Franklin (Burial)

St Lukes Anglican Church Cemetery, Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia

Notes: This cemetery, the second in Liverpool, was opened in 1821. Because of its proximity to St Luke’s Church, it was often referred to as St Luke’s cemetery, but it was not created on Church land. From 1827, the cemetery was divided into denominatioonal sectors, the closest to Campbell Street being allocated to Anglicans, then a one acre lot north of that for Roman Catholics in 1846, plus an addition to that in 1868. A small sector along Macquarie Street, near Lachlan lane was set aside for Wesleyans in 1863. In 1884, a small area in the north-east corner of the site, adjacent to the Hume Highway was dedicated for Presbyterians plus an extension west of that (adjacent to Northumberland Street.) for Catholic paupers burials. Non-denominational pauper and asylum inmate burials occurred between those areas and Lachlan lane, in unmarked graves.

The cemetery was closed for burials in 1958. In October 1970 the Old Liverpool Cemetery Act authorized Liverpool Council to convert the cemetery into a rest park. Many headstones were removed and put into storage or placed on a serpentine memorial wall that stood from 1970 to 2009. Since 2009, these headstones have now been returned to their original resting place. The park was reopened on 3 September 2010 by Mayor Wendy Waller.

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 55» Next»     » Slide Show

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 12.0.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2020.

Blighty to Baghdad - created and maintained by Andrew Smith Copyright © 2004-2020 All rights reserved.