From Blighty to Baghdad

The Genealogy of the Smith/Lincoln Family

Currajong Billabong, New South Wales



 


Notes: When the county of Ashburnham was surveyed in 1853, the surveyors noted a series of hills, which were near Billabong Creek. The soil around appeared to be very fertile, so they defined a village reserve called "Currajong", after the trees which grew in abundance in the area.

Henry Parkes visited the area in August 1873 and met a deputation of local residents at the Gladstone Hotel and toured both Currajong and Bushman's Lead. After the visit, Bushman's Lead at Currajong was unofficially known as "Parkes". On the 1st December 1873, the Lands Department officially agreed to the name change of the town to "Parkes"

OpenStreetMap

Latitude: -33.124872188388586, Longitude: 148.36658477783203


Birth

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Birth    Person ID 
1 Lincoln, Charles  24 Sep 1864Currajong Billabong, New South Wales I107